Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Thursday, August 6, 1914

From the Journal of Matthew Campbell

I closed the store myself and walked my bike down Granville. Mr. Markusy has been leaving early the past few days. I don't know why, but I don't mind watching the store myself. I heard some of the larger merkets have been selling out as everyone is stocking up, which seems so unnecessary when the war is halfway around the world. It doesn't need to affect us, does it?

The night air was warm, even an hour past sunset. Drunken revelers fill the bars and spill out onto the streets. They are toasting the start of the war, celebrating the Empire, giving their friends a send off before they leave for their training; there are many reasons to drink. I wonder if this war will give us more.

No comments:

Post a Comment